Monday, September 04, 2006

House Renting in Bangalore

House renting in bangalore is one more fascinating exercise, that is an art and has its own quirks.
I had lived in three rented houses in Bangalore. One reason was I was single and was also not sure of staying back in india the first few months I came to India, so did notreally think of buying a house.

The first house was small two bedroom house on a quiet street in a otherwise nosiy neighborhood ( actually every neighborhood in bangalore is noisy ) called RT nagar. The land lady was a nice old lady with some mood swings ocassionally that are best avoided. The rent was a princely 4000 thousand rupees. I did not have a lot of baggage with me, so I was in the house for a year. but lack of sunlight and parking for my vehicle forced me to go to a new house.

I found another brand new house a few streets away and moved there in the first week of janb2005
. The owner was nice and quiet gentelman who worked for Bangalore city corporation. This apartment had a basement car parking and a nice veranda and plenty of sunlight. I liked this house, but the only problem was the noise outside during office hours .
I was here for almost year and half.
When i joined Flat world, I had to commute to Banashankari , a far off neighborhood 20 kms away. 20 kms in Bangalore means one hour of commute. So i spent around 2 hours of commute everyday. Driving in Bangalore is not a pleasant experience. So i finally decided to move.

So the next step is to find a house. How do i do that. I first walked around the streets near the new office , looking for to let signs. I found a house on the street as the office was in and saw the hous. IT was a nice 3 bed room house, a bungalow type house, where the owner stayed in the first floor and the ground floor was rented.

I still did not finalise, I wanted to see some more houses and finally found a real estate broker ( that is what they are called ) in dingy office in front of my Office. He showed me around a couple of houses in the neighborhood, all of which promptly rejected, as they did not have parking or roads were not paved etc.
Finally i went back the same 3-bed room house. This one had nice parking in front of the house, and being in the same street meant I avoided the harrowing Bangalore commute ,that I could definitely could do without. The time saved in commute was also a big attraction.

Finally I moved in to this house and have not regretted moving in here. The house owner is a plesant man who has retired as an officer in Reserve bank of India ( the equivalent of federal reserve in the US ) .


After a long time I could enjoy my lunch in the privacy of my house. !

No comments: